Thursday, July 11, 2013

Summer Reading

Who doesn't love lounging by the pool, or better yet, the ocean, with the sun shining bright overhead, book in hand? I certainly love that feeling; I wait for it all year long.
Here's some of my book recommendations for this summer:
Commencement by J. Courtney Sullivan
Synopsis: Four girls (named Celia, Bree, Sally, and April) are placed in the same dorm during their freshman year at a Northeastern liberal arts college. They're all quite different in personality and background, yet over the course of their four years in school, they struggle with adult life, learn lessons, and bond as a group. They reunite four years after graduation for Sally's wedding, and despite their growing differences, their devotion to one another is strong. However, one of the girls finds trouble and it is up to the other three to help her. 
My review: This book kept me up reading for days, despite the fact that I tried very hard to spread it out. The characters' stories each drew me in, and I felt as though I could be a part of this group. The situations these girls end up in are very realistic; this is a great read for college students and those entering adulthood. 
My rating: 4.5/5 stars

Where I Belong by Gwendolyn Heasley
Synopsis: City-girl Corrinne's world is falling apart. Used to her extravagant life in New York City, she and her brother are sent to live with her grandparents in Texas, and Corrinne refuses to accept it. She will do whatever it takes to get her life back on the "right track:" going to boarding school, getting her credit cards back, and more. However, she's stuck in public school with a job shoveling manure. Will this city girl find a home in the country?
My review: It was a quick read, and one that I really enjoyed. The protagonist acted like a spoiled brat at first, but that was to be expected. She grew up quite a bit, though, and became a much more enjoyable protagonist. This book was sweet and a bit predictable, but sometimes that is just what you need. This is a perfect summer read. 
My rating: 3.5/5 stars

Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares
Synopsis: In the fifth and final installment of the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants books, Tibby, Carmen, Lena, and Bridget are beginning their adult lives, and despite the fact that the Pants have been lost, their friendship continues on. The closeness that they once shared is missing, however, and it has affected each of the women greatly. Tibby reaches out to the others, sending them plane tickets for a reunion in Greece. That trip will change their lives forever, in the least expected way. 
My review: The Sisterhood has been a part of my life since middle school, but I feel that this book was written in such a way that even if you hadn't read the other books, you could grasp that these women shared a deep bond. Much has happened since the last installment, and the girls have grown up and apart. During what should have been a happy reunion in Greece, something entirely unexpected happens. I cried, I laughed, and I cried some more. But the end of this book, and the series, was worth all of it. 
My rating: 4/5 stars 

Happy reading, 
Caryn Elizabeth




No comments:

Post a Comment