Monday, November 4, 2013

Book Review: Allegiant {The Divergent Trilogy}

Goodreads
Allegiant (Divergent #3) by Veronica Roth

*Spoiler Alert! This is the 3rd book in the trilogy, so there will be spoilers*

Synopsis: Tris Prior, formerly known as Beatrice, has had her life change forever. The society she was raised in consisted of five factions, but now those factions are shattered. They have been destroyed by power struggles and violence between the factionless and those who believe in the factions. She is offered a chance to learn what is outside of her city, to explore the world, Tris is ready. She hopes that beyond the fence, she and her boyfriend Tobias can create a new life together: she hopes that they can live without lies and painful memories.
However, the world beyond the fence is more alarming than the city she left behind. Truths come into light that change the lives of people she loves. Tris has to find a way to comprehend human nature, and herself, in this new world that is forcing Tris to make impossible choices about life, love, and allegiance. 

My Review: I honestly don't even know where to begin. This book has left me a little bit numb, although I was not entirely shocked by the way that it ended. I just wish it ended differently, but then it would not have been true to the character involved. Anywho, I really liked the way the book started, with the people who believe in the factions forming a group called the Allegiant who are suppose to go figure out the purpose of their city in the grand scheme of things. But once we got out into the world, there was a ton of other issues and everything got muddled together. Too many ideas for one book, in my opinion. 
The book also switched back and forth between Tris' and Tobias' perspectives, and I feel that it would have been more powerful just to use Tris' perspective until the end. A bunch of people were extremely upset about the ending, as was I, but I think that it makes perfect sense. The end fit with everything the character had done up to that point. It is heartbreaking, yes, and I won't lie: I bawled like a baby. But I can understand the character's motivation, and I believe that she would sacrifice herself in order to save others. 
Overall, I liked the idea of the city, was not fond of the outside world, and was devastated but understood the ending. 

My rating: 3.5/5

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment