Thursday, August 29, 2013

Book & Movie Review - The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones

Goodreads
The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Synopsis: Fifteen-year-old Clary Fray goes out to Pandemonium club and witnesses a murder. It's a little hard to report the crime, though, when the body disappears into thin air and no one can see the three tattooed, teenage murderers. No one but Clary, that is. This was her first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors committed to ridding the Earth of demons. One of the Shadowhunters from the club is named Jace, who looks like an angel but is a total smart-ass. In less than 24 hours, her mother and Clary are attacked by a demon, and Clary is pulled entirely into the Shadowhunter world. There are mysteries surrounding Clary: What would a demon want with mundanes like Clary and her mother? Why does Clary all-of-a-sudden have the Sight?
The Shadowhunters want to know.

My Review: This book was great. I knew that I wanted to see the movie, so I had to finish the book before watching it. I really felt like I understood Clary, her emotions, etc. and I felt like I could relate to her easily. Jace came off as an ass but there is good reasoning for it, and I really love him as a character. The other Shadowhunters were a little rough around the edges, but when you go around slaying demons all day, it is to be expected. The story was really gripping, it drew me in, and I want to know more. I'm glad that this is a series because I don't think that I would be satisfied with just one book! 
My rating: 4/5


The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones movie
My review: I truly enjoyed this movie. Sure, it didn't match up with the book in several parts, but for the most part, the movie stayed true to the book. Some of the lines were an exact match, which I always love hearing! Casting was great, although a bit too old, considering they were all suppose to be teenagers. Not one of the "teens" looked like they were under age 20. 
But anywho, the story progresses much more quickly in the movie, so if you haven't read the book, I can see that it would be difficult to understand what was going on. I took my mom out with me, and she was really confused at certain points. My main problem was that they gave away a major plot twist right before the actual plot twist! It was very discreet, apparently, because while I knew it was coming and was looking out for it, my mom missed them giving it away entirely. So at least there's that.
Overall, it could have been handled with a bit more care and explanation for those who have not read the books, and I hope they do a little better with City of Ashes, which I'm currently reading.
My rating: 3/5 
Would recommend, but read the book first!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment