Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Book Review: The Runaway Princess

Goodreads

The Runaway Princess by Hester Browne
Synopsis: Amy Wilde, a young gardener from Yorkshire, England, is in for a large surprise when she starts dating Leo. He's handsome, understands her, and treats her like a princess: it's quite fitting, because as it turns out, Leo is actually Prince Leopold Wolfsburg of Nirona. Dating Leo comes with many perks (read: going to the opera, charity galas, etc.) but for Amy, who was raised in jeans and wellies with dirt caked in her fingernails, adjusting to the glamorous life of royalty is difficult. Her anxieties about things like meeting the parents are doubled when things like discussing the line of succession become the topic of dinner conversation. To make things worse, the press is showing interest in Amy's very normal, not royal family. Unforseen events then push Leo closer to the throne, and his family pushes Amy to be less gardener and more princess. As much as she loves Leo, is Amy willing to change herself and her life to be with him?

My review: I was very excited to pick up this book, but I found that it was difficult for me to get into the story at first. The main character, Amy, is a gardener for a living, so there was a lot of garden-theme talk, and a lot of talk about how she's "just a normal young woman," etc. that became a bit redundant. But I suppose if I was being courted by a very handsome young man, err, prince, I'd be a little discombobulated and convinced that I'm way too "normal" to have a prince fall for me, too. After I got into the story line, it really picked up and I finished it in less than a week. It was a very cute story, and I did enjoy the ending!

My Rating: 3.5/5

xoxo,
Caryn Elizabeth


No comments:

Post a Comment