Thursday, October 3, 2013

Book Review: The Carrie Diaries

Goodreads

Synopsis: Most people (in the U.S., at least) have heard of Sex and the City... And so, Carrie Bradshaw. This book tells Carrie's story before she moved to New York City to become THE Carrie Bradshaw. The book starts in Carrie's senior year in a small Connecticut town: Carrie and her friends are inseparable, at least, until Sebastian Kydd moves to town. He's older, a bad-boy, and intrigues Carrie right from the start. Their relationship is great, the one she has always wanted - but then a friend's betrayal has her questioning everything. Amid all of this, high school is coming to a close and it is time for Carrie to go after everything that she has always dreamt of.

My review: I was really young when Sex and the City first came out, so I haven't seen more than a few episodes, but when I knew that The Carrie Diaries was coming to the CW, I bought this book. I wasn't sure if I would like it or not. It wasn't my favorite, but it was certainly a cute and even realistic coming-of-age story. I can see this matching the story of many young girls (as far as what happens to her in her high school). The internship in New York was a bit far-fetched to me, but perhaps that is because I live in California and nobody I knew received an internship in San Francisco until college. But as far as her friends, school, boyfriend issues, etc. goes, the book felt very real. It was a light read and it was open-ended; I want to read the sequel soon because I want to learn how Carrie develops into a young woman in NYC.

My rating: 3/5

xoxo 


No comments:

Post a Comment