Thursday, September 26, 2013

Boardwalk Frolic!

Swingin' around
UCSC takes over the Boardwalk!

Last Monday night was UCSC's annual Boardwalk Frolic, where they close down the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and only UCSC students gain entry. It was so much fun and I'm so glad that I was able to go. We rode the Giant Dipper three times; I am pretty sure it got faster after sundown... which makes it even better!

Giant Dipper
The Giant Dipper is actually a National Historic Monument: It was built in 1924 and cost about $50,000 to build the wooden coaster. It has been featured in a few movies, most notably, The Lost Boys, which is set in the fictitious "Santa Carla," but was filmed in many locations throughout Santa Cruz. 

See? Lost Boys! 
It is the 5th oldest roller coaster in the United States, which I thought was a pretty nifty fact. 


We rode a few other rides, like the Haunted Castle, and a personal favorite, the Double Shot. We were given a few coupons for things like bowling and laser tag, which my roommate and I cannot wait to use once we can afford a break from studying!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment